Thursday, February 10, 2011

Faux Batik!

Happy Snow Day! I want to share with you a new & fun technique!
Faux Batik!

 The Technique Tag:
This is such an easy technique to do... and it has such an awesome outcome!
Supplies needed:
Sticky Back Canvas
Multi-Medium Matte
Foam Stamps
Mini-Mister
Acrylic Paint

Step One:
Spread your Multi-Medium out on your craft mat. Cover enough space to fit your foam stamp. What you are doing is creating a "stamp pad" for your stamp.
Step Two:
Stamp your foam stamp into the Multi-Medium and stamp your image on to the Sticky Back Canvas. Repeat stamping until your surface is covered.
(We are using Sticky Back Canvas to create the fabric look. This technique will work on paper too! You just want to use a real thick paper or watercolor paper)
Step Three:
Place little palettes of paint on your craft mat and mist with water until the paint has a tea like consistency.
Step Four:
Once the Multi-Medium is dried, brush your paint over your project, covering the entire surface. You will start to see your stamped images stand out! To really make the "pop" you can blot them with a paper towel to remove some of the paint.
Now, just let it dry... and you have a beautiful faux batik to use!!!

Taking the technique to the page:
Here is a layout that I did today using this technique. I used a piece of 12x12 Sticky Back Canvas. I then placed it on to cardstock.
One more trick!
The piece that I have my picture on started as a plain light blue cardstock. I used Tattered Angels Glimmer Glam to darken the edges. I then brushed some of the Glam on to my craft mat and created a stamp pad to use for my snowflake stamp. This is a great trick that allows you to use several types of art mediums for stamping!

Here is a link to my project that I did when I first learned this technique... It was over the summer in a class taught by Claudine Hellmuth.

Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments